Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oct 29th
Salem's Lot*
US TVM 1979. Warner Bros. 183m(2 parts).

A widowed writer returns to his home town the same time as a sinister antiques dealer and his mysterious business partner with vampiric inclinations...
Generally heavy-handed and derivative modern interpretation of Dracula, with some good moments, but rather choppingly edited, with most of the main characters disappearing half-way through with little explanation why, even in its protracted 3-hour version.

Written by: Paul Monash, from the novel by Stephen King.
Producer: Richard Kobritz.
Director: Tobe Hooper.
Starring: David Soul, James Mason, Bonnie Bedelia, Lance Kerwin, Lew Ayres, Julie Cobb, George Dzundza, Ed Flanders, Geoffrey Lewis, Barney McFadden, Elisha Cook Jnr, Kenneth McMillan, Fred Willard, Reggie Nalder.
Photography: Jules Brenner.
Music: Harry Sukman.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Oh yes, "Salem's Lot". Detective Ken Hutchinson from "Starsky and Hutch" takes on James Mason's toothy vampire. I recall seeing this the first time it was shown on TV here in the early 80's, and it made a huge impression on me. I also remember everyone at school talking about it! I really like this mini-series, even though it definitely has a 'TV' feel to it. I agree about the editing though; I'm sure there is lots more footage buried in the vaults at Warner Bros. Good stuff. I've owned the DVD for a while now.

I see it was directed by Tobe Hooper, who made horror films such as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Funhouse".

Nov 6, 2008, 9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home