Friday, December 18, 2009

Dec 17th
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country**
US 1991. Paramount. 110m. Panavision

Captain Kirk is framed for disrupting peace negotiations with the Klingons, but the Enterprise rallies to his aid.
Once more wearily boldly going, in quite a nifty post-Cold War thriller set in outer space, which begins and ends satisfactorily, and despite its longueurs and the series' continuing self-importance, still has some touching and suspenseful moments, and gives the crew of the USS Enterprise a dignified send-off.

Written by: Nicholas Meyer, Denny Martin Flinn, from a story by Leonard Nimoy, Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal.
Producers: Steven-Charles Jaffe, Ralph Winter.
Director: Nicholas Meyer.
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, Christopher Plummer, Kim Cattrall, David Warner, James Doohan, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Iman, Brock Peters, Kurtwood Smith, Michael Dorn.
Photography: Hiro Narita.
Music: Cliff Edelman.

+ Christian Slater cameos as a Starfleet junior officer

3 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

I really enjoyed this entry in the series; I credit that to Nicholas Meyer who made the best of the series, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", which was also the basis for this year's "re-boot". Also, ILM's effects were excellent and the story and script were pretty solid.
Joe, I think you should review all the "Star Trek" films on here. Please be kind to 1979's "The Motion Picture" - I love that film! :)
Anyhoo, I went with two pals to see this on opening night the 14th February 1992, at the lovely old ABC on Prince of Wales Road in Norwich. Great screening that was, as the cinema that evening was full of the fan faithful - there was cheering at the end.

Dec 26, 2009, 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Hi Derek. You may be interested to know that it's 20 years since I started reviewing films for myself, so I commemorated the anniversary by reviewing at least one film from each year between 1989 and 2009 (see other films in this blog.)

In this case I was looking for a 1991 film, and was hoping to see John Gielgud in 'Prospero's Books' (which is not on DVD), but ST6 will do just as well, which Bob gave as a prezzie a while back.

I'm sorry I missed ST6 when you saw it in the cinema: if memory serves me right, it was just before I first met Craig & company in 1992.

Happy New Year.


Joe

Dec 28, 2009, 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

For that showing of "Star Trek VI", I went with two ex school pals, Kevin and Robert. We all worked in Norwich at the time so we went straight from work to the cinema. I was back living in Gorleston-on-Sea at the time, on a year's work experience in the middle of my uni course which was based in East London. I guess if I had been in London from 1991-92 I would have seen the film with Craig, Manjula, Jason etc...

Oh, a little while after, Kevin and I saw it again with the previous five films...again at the ABC Norwich. Took all day!

Hope you get "Prosperos Books" film soon. Is it out in the US?

Oh, I watched "Star Wars" yesterday...32nd anniversary!

Dec 28, 2009, 3:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home