Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mar 12th 
Existenz                                                      
 Canada 1999. Miramax/Alliance Atlantis/Serendipity Point/Natural Nylon. 97m.

The creator of an "enhanced reality" game is forced to go on the run with her bodyguard, and elements of the game start drifting into real life...
Obscurely told semi-futuristic thriller with the director's usual visceral elements, although the performances are rather off-key and actual "game world" is a surprisingly boring one. The twist in the tale deliberately leaves audiences as confused as those participants in the game.

Written and Directed: David Cronenberg.
Producers: Robert Lantos, Andras Hamori. David Cronenberg.
Starring: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jude Law, Ian Holm, Don McKellar, Sarah Polley, Callum Keith Rennie, Willem Dafoe, Robert A. Silverman, Christopher Eccleston.
Photography: Peter Suschitzky.
Music: Howard Shore.
Production Design: Carol Spier.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

I've never watched this film, although it looks interesting and as I've liked watching some of Cronenberg's earlier films (such as Scanners, Shivers etc), I should hire this one day.

Oh, I've mentioned a few DVDs (mini reviews) on my blog. Feel free to add any comments about these films!

Mar 22, 2007, 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I confess I usually run the other way when I discover a film's got Jude Law in it, so I had to summon a certain amount of courage to see this one.

If you've seen 'Naked Lunch', then this is similar in some ways - certainly just as complex. I was just screaming for an outsider's perspective - all the characters seem so OBSESSED by the game - and it isn't even a decent fantasy game either! This I suppose is the point - as Tyrell said in Blade Runner, "more real than real is our motto" - or should that be more human?

Mar 22, 2007, 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home