Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Feb 1st
Scanners
Canada 1980. Avco/Filmplan International. 103m.

Telepathic beings known as scanners are threatened by a sinister organisation attempting to wipe out dissenters.
Unpleasant paranoia thriller with notable shock effects (including exploding heads), with the director at his most excessive. One to turn the light on straight after watching.

Written and Directed by: David Cronenberg.
Producer: Charlie Heroux.
Starring: Patrick McGoohan, Stephen Lack, Jennifer O'Neill, Michael Ironside, Lawrence Dane, Robert Silverman.
Photography: Mark Irwin.
Music: Howard Shore.
Make-up Effects: Dick Smith.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rez672Z5o&feature=related

...a trailer!

I remember seeing this film in the mid 90's on tv, after many many years of noticing the lurid video cover (featuring Michael Ironside as Revok) which was very scary to me when I used to make my weekly visit to Norfolk video shop in Gorleston High Street, circa 1983! I like Cronenberg's films - the 'coldness' of them reminds me of Kubrick's work.

Feb 7, 2012, 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I watched just the one trailer myself before seeing the actual film - it just featured the exploding head scene. Sells itself's really, doesn't it?

Feb 8, 2012, 6:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home