Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sep 15th
Julie and Julia** (12A)
Odeon Colchester

In the 1950's would-be chef Julia Child struggles to write a recipe book for ordinary American housewives, and in 2002 a young would-be writer tries to emulate her online by cooking all her recipes and writing about them.
Quite fun cross-telling of two women's real-life exploits (like The Hours but wittier) where the modern story is commendably just as enjoyable as the Parisian one, with Streep's delightfully eccentric Julia Child only occasionally slipping into impersonation. Characteristically cliched and sentimental (for this writer/director) in places, but occasionally lets some of the harder edges creep in (eg. Julia Child herself disapproved of the fan blog.)

d: Nora Ephron
s: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci, Chris Messina

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Meryl Streep's performance (phenomenal as usual) and Amy Adams was cute (as usual), but have to say the Julia Child storyline stole the show for me. I didn't really care about Julie Powell's character, and found myself just waiting through those segments to get back to the good stuff with Julia. We had a Julia-inspired food day today--see my blog!

Sep 20, 2009, 5:45:00 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

I didn't bother going to see this with Carla (she went with her work pals) but I'm glad they enjoyed it. I'm going to see "District 9" this weekend with Kev this weekend instead!

Sep 22, 2009, 8:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home